Sunday, October 7, 2012

But, What Is Little Rock?

Almost since the beginning of this blog, I've been mulling a question over with which I want your help. It's this: What is Little Rock's identity as a city, place and community? Those last three nouns really are all the same thing, but feel free to use them to break it down into those categories if needed.

The reason I am asking this question is because I want an answer myself. Although I've invited comments, and a few of you have done so, I hope many more will do so here on this question. People new to Little Rock may provide special insight, but I'd also love to hear from longtime residents as well. I only have some thoughts on the subject, no answers, so this blog entry will be a shortish one.

First, as many of you know, I come from Fort Smith. Although Fort Smith often fluctuates between defining itself as Southern or Western or some combination of these influences, it does, right or wrong, good or bad, have a strong sense of itself and what it is. Second, I don't feel like Little Rock does. That could be completely wrong and unfair. I truly don't know.

I think there are several reasons. Namely, those are size coupled with post-World War II growth, status as a capital city and geographic/demographic position. I suspect Little Rock had a much stronger identity as a Southern city before World War II and the modernism that came after it. Having lived in some cities like Manchester, England and Boston, I think cities need decades to absorb rapid growth, then redefine themselves. Culture has to marinate. Those two cities have strong identities, but I also know they had identity crises during periods of boom and immigration. Capital cities often are pulled between their roles in their respective states, provinces and nations and their local, indigenous roots. Even Washington, D.C., does, I think. D.C. is a great city, but it has a sterility and a something-missing component to its makeup, too. Notice how many institutions there are branded "National" or "U.S." Notice in Little Rock how many institutions even outside of government are branded "Arkansas" or "State." Finally, there is geographic position. Where Fort Smith struggles with two major regional influences and types, I perceive Little Rock as wrestling with even more of these — Southern, upper and Deep; major metropolitan versus medium-size city; Ozark versus Delta; et cetera.

Folks, I may be off-base here and all those thoughts are misguided, but I just want to get this conversation started because I think it might be interesting and instructive for me and maybe for everybody else too. Weigh in, opine, comment, and let the games/discussion begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Think I'm a crazy loon? Want to send me money? Let's talk: