Sunday, October 28, 2012

Famous Dave's Achieves Great BBQ With Hits Down the Middle At Little Rock Spot

Famous Dave's hot link barbecue Little Rock
Lunch at Famous Dave's — ribs, a hot link
 and Wilburs' Beans
Famous Dave's, Famous Daves. I am stunned and surprised. If you had told me I ever would be writing here in praise of a chain restaurant, and in praise of a chain barbecue restaurant at that, then I would have asked you to step outside, so I could give you some what-for. Nevertheless, I sit here writing, gobsmacked by the pleasure of my experience there.


Brisket, pulled pork and some delish cole slaw
Before I go on, I need to mention that yes, we have tried Sims Bar-B-Que more than once and been very pleased with it. Service has been good, and I have a real weakness for their greens as well as their ribs. However, the ribs I had at Famous Dave's beat them. A retired friend of mine who is a certified barbecue judge and acts as one in the summers at barbecue festivals explained to me how he rates ribs. The meat should come off easily in your teeth, but it should not fall off. If you have to tear, then it is undercooked. If it falls at the touch of your lips, then it is overcooked. Overcooking weakens the strength of the meat flavor, which should work at full force with the sauce. I happen to agree with this. The ribs I ordered received at FD's hit that spot in the middle for good ribs. Their table sauces are in my order of preference are "Sweet & Zesty,""Rich & Sassy," "Hot & Sassy," "Texas Pit" and "Devil's Pit." There's also a Georgia Mustard that I didn't try. The "Sweet & Zesty" was my favorite, especially for the ribs. Vingeary sauces are not my thing, but they are there for you if they are yours. My hot link was excellent. I can say that I've never had a link quite like it. Its mouth-feel was a little looser and less dense that I am accustomed to but very flavorful. I'd definitely order it again.

Sides sampled by me and The Jenny include cole slaw, Wilbur's Beans and a corn muffin. FD makes their own slaw from fresh cabbage and the sauce is custom-made for them. It rocks. Seriously, I'm not a big fan of cole slaw, or should I say bad cole slaw. It either comes to me gloppy and thick or watery and soupy. Again, they found the ideal middle. Their slaw was neither, and it provided the cool antidote between bites of barbecue meat. Jenny liked it just as well as I did but was far more generous with it than I would have been. (Hey, growing up in a house with four older brothers makes you protective of your vittles.) My beans were a little watery but still tasty. Oh, and the corn muffins were not dry at all. How the heck do they do that without being doughy?!

The Jenny liked her brisket, but it was my least favorite. I have to say for brisket it also passed the test. I just don't have a love-affair with that particular part of the barbecue spectrum. Her plate's pulled pork was quite the hit though. I'm looking forward to eating the leftover portion in the fridge. (Don't remind Jenny it's there. She usually forgets what we bring home).

Our waitress was new, but she was competent and personable, no complaints there either. Dang nice folks, they gave us a complimentary bottle of "Sweet & Zesty" barbecue sauce when they found it was our first time there. Salut.

Rating: Famous Dave's — A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree? Disagree? Think I'm a crazy loon? Want to send me money? Let's talk: